Friday, January 26, 2007

What more could there be?

So far, 2007 has brought great things to me and it is only January! Alex and I are very settled in NY, I have a great temp job in the Global Makeup Marketing Dept. of Estee Lauder, and all of my loved ones are happy and healthy. I am getting ready to go back to my favorite place for the summer, Pine Mountain Music Festival, and do Dinah in 'Trouble in Tahiti' (this will be a blast) and Paquette in 'Candide.' All seems normal in my neck of the woods until last weekend.
There are things in life that I almost expect to happen. I am surprised sometimes, but usually things go by like clock work. I decided to apply and sing for the Met Competition b/c it is what you do as a singer. You hope that even though you are 27, and in Met world old and washed up, someone will remember you or not totally hate your singing. I missed the "young" boat long ago when I thought 22 and 23 was too young to do the Met...hahaha! I waited until I was 26 to try it out. The first go around did not surprise me...lots of politics, a multi-cracking tenor goes on, and some liked me and some didn't. So, when this year came along I thought, well, I should just do the damn thing until I am 30, and to make it more worth my while, I will go to Orlando to visit my sister and new nephew with a tax write off included. So, the day arrives, I go in and sing/perform like any other audition except it is so much better to have an audience to play to. When I finished, my sister and I went to get some frozen Italian ice which turned my teeth, tongue and lips bright red, but was sooo good. Then we hung out in the lobby until all the singers were done. I heard some of the singers and really thought they were very talented. The judge deliberated and I sat and talked to my sister and friends from the past, to keep the upcoming events off of my mind. I had been here many times...hoping for something that didn't turn out the way I had hoped. Maybe I could get an encouragement award or honorable mention (which I didn't know existed until the Florida District). I would be completely satisfied with either recognition...I mean it would be a step up from, well, nothing! So, here came the judges. My heart starts pounding. Leslie and I look at each other and think, here we go...let's get the encouragement award. The judges explain how there is an extra encouragement award today b/c one donor in the audience provided it for the singer. Oh goodie! Maybe I will get one now! So they start. First, encouragement...not me, second...not me, third...not me! Damn, I missed that opportunity. Okay, there are still the honorable mention awards. First one...not me! Second...not me again! Well hell, I am going home without anything again! Leslie and I are look at eachother and my heart is really pounding now. The judges are ready to read the winners. Oh crap, here it comes, my let down...and the first winner of the Florida District MONC is....LINDSEY FALDUTO...WHAT?! HOLY CRAP! My sister and I look at eachother with amazement...ME?! I walk to the stage to get the envelope and feel the tears coming to my eyes. That's right, I wept a little. I felt just like Miss America for my walk up to the stage. I was so shocked they called my name. The whole time I stood up there and thought, this doesn't happen to me. To other yes, but to me, no way! But, it did, and I am so pumped to go on to Atlanta next month. It doesn't matter if I go on to the finals in NY b/c I am so happy with the goal I have met and exceeded. Don't get me wrong, going on would be amazing and even more shocking than this round, but not going on will never belittle what I have accomplished thus far. Life is so crazy. Just when you think it is going to go along like you always expected, God throws something at you that you never expected. I can't wait to see what is next!
Ciao!

No comments: