Thursday, November 16, 2006

Myspace Blog, June 1: The wonderful UP of Michigan

Okay y'all, I am finally writing my first blog about my adventures in the Upper Penninsula of MI. I got here almost one week ago, and let me tell you, I thought I was going to die on the plane ride. Houghton, MI is where PMMF is located. Well, you have to take a propeller plane to get anywhere near this place. I have been on propeller planes before, however, this one was so small, there wasn't even a flight attendant, overhead bins, or two people to a row. It was literally 1 person on each of the sides. So, the scariest part was when the pilot, b/c there is no flight attendant, asked a woman from the back of the plane to move forward for weight distribution. I almost died! What do you mean the plane has to be leveled to take off and fly?! I swear my heart didn't stop beating a 100 beats per minute until we landed. I was pleasantly surprised that the flight was only 1 hr total b/c apparently the UP is on a different time zone than Milwakee, WI. Who knew?! I thought I was going to be trapped on that tin can for 2 hours! So, we land safely in one piece and I was off in my rental car for another 2 hours of driving.
I know what y'all are thinking, "how shitty to drive for 2 more hours!" Well, I loved it b/c I wasn't in a plane, and then I get to see the country side. Michigan is gorgeous! The weather is amazing. It is unseasonably warm, which means a high of 80, but to me it is perfection. I think we are going to have a cold front pretty soon, but I am ready for whatever weather comes my way. During my drive, I came to the realization that the UP is a great place for criminals to run to and never be found. There is really nothing here except trees and a few gas stations. The people are a little sketchy. I definitely stick out with my huge Jackie O. glasses and shoes that are never the normal black or brown.
I finally arrived in Houghton and it is a cute, gorgeous little place. We are right next to a lake and the facilities are perfect. I am very pleased with PMMF. There are seven of us who don't have a car, so they rented us one to share. How great is that?! I named the car Marge...it totally fits her. We have been rehearsing and staging our scenes b/c we are presenting them next Friday. I love all the people in the program. The scenes are going well, and I have had a blast with my colleagues. I have had to force myself to go to bed and stop talking b/c we stay up and just gab and laugh about everything. Tomorrow is our first day off and I think we are going to the beach. I'll write more when I've got it. Bye, Yo!

No comments: